Friday, October 23, 2009

Something Yummy...

Last week I got one of my favorite care packages ever. It contained 6 cookies and 2 coffee toffees - made my by own darling mother. That first bite of Outrageous Chocolate Chip Cookie was exquisite. Northland's food is good, but it can't compare to homemade cookies! I don't have the recipe for the cookies on my computer, but my sister sent me the Coffee Toffee recipe. See the photo and recipe below.

Coffee Toffee Bars



Cream 1 C soft butter
1 C brown sugar
Blend in 1 tsp. almond extract
1-2 T instant coffee
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Add 2-2 1/2 C flour to make stiff dough.

Press into well-greased 9x13 pan, sprinkle choc. chips on top.
Bake @ 350*F for 20-25 min.

Notes: I think we usually use a jelly roll pan. Use however many chocolate chips you need to fulfill your soul's desire...probably 1-2 cups would be plenty.

This is a yummy treat - you can tell because the recipe card is so worn that you can hardly read it anymore! It's a unique alternative to chocolate chip cookies, with an interesting texture and just a hint of coffee flavoring - not strong enough to turn off non-coffee people like me. =)

Feel free to leave feedback if you give this a try!

3 comments:

Taracinablue said...

Yes, coffee-toffee and outrageous chocolate chip cookies are very yummy.

Yes, I'm always surprised when I remember that coffee-toffees actually have a bit of coffee in them.

Guess what my siblings and I did today? We made fudge. It's also very yummy. =)

-The one who sent in the recipe

Anonymous said...

I have nearly this exact recipe. Use white sugar instead of brown. No baking powder & choc chips are mixed in with the dough. But no coffee. It's called Toll House Cookie Brittle. My Mom made it a lot when I was young. My family likes only gooey, soft cookies so I haven't made it for a long time. Can't wait to try it with the inst coffee.

Unknown said...

I was quite surprised to find this recipe on your site. I have looked occasionally for it over the years but have not found it until I stumbled upon it here. My mother made this exact recipe for the first time in the early 1960's and all of her three kids (myself included) have been making them ever since and we are well into our 50's now. According to her it was a winning recipe in a contest (can't remember which periodical but I think it was Good Housekeeping) in the late 1950's. I finally had to re-write her very old and tattered recipe card a few years ago but it's still a classic. For a variation we mix the chocolate chips into the dough before baking and then (because we love the almond flavoring) we'll top it with a simple powdered sugar almond glaze that can be easily colored for the season. Thanks for sharing and it's nice to see someone else who has had this recipe in their family.