Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Coconut Treat: Grandma Inez's Impossible Pie

I've made this recipe two or three times - if you're a coconut fan, you'll really like this!  It's similar to a coconut cream pie, but SO much easier!

To give credit where credit is due, I got this recipe from Tasty Kitchen - follow this link to see the original.

I do make one slight modification - I add quite a bit more coconut than the recipe calls for.  You'll have to experiment and see which way you prefer it.  :)

So...here are the ingredients below...you probably have most of these already!  Eggs, sugar, butter (or margarine), vanilla, milk, Bisquick (or generic baking mix) and sweetened coconut flakes.


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and mix all the ingredients together.  


Pour into a greased 9" pie plate (my pie plate was 9.5").


Bake for 30 minutes.  It shouldn't be jiggly, and a knife should come out clean.  Broil for 2-3 minutes if you want the top to be toasted. 


This is yummy eaten right away, but a zillion times better the next day.  (I know, because I tried it both ways!)  It has a slightly creamy, custardy texture that goes super well with whipped cream.


So, the main modification that I made was to add more coconut than the recipe calls for.  I put in 3 cups, and it may have increased the baking time and made the pie not keep its shape as well - but it was still absolutely delicious!

Here's the full recipe:

Grandma Inez's Impossible Pie

2 eggs, beaten
1 c sugar
3 T butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c milk
4 T Bisquick
3 1/2 oz. sweetened coconut flakes (I used 3 cups)

Mix ingredients well.  Pour into a greased 9" pie plate.  Bake at 350 deg. F for 30 minutes, then broil for 2-3 minutes if desired.  Cool and serve with whipped cream.

Enjoy!!  :D

1 comment:

Lorie said...

This WAS a delicious dessert! Thanks, Sarah!